Change font size

Welcome
Welcome to banishedpeople

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Havre aux Basques
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:59 pm 

Technical, map and seed:

I'm using the new swamp lake map type introduced in mega-mod, (v 0.04) created by "K" of the BL team. I believe that using the debug tool to create custom starts that help tell a story is an important and often ignored part of playing Banished, and it is much more versatile than asking modders to create these for a few users. This request has been made so many times that it has become a burden on some forums.

Western Louisiana, April 12, 1701. We have just arrived to take over an old spanish fort and failed colony after the border has been adjusted in view of our new settlement at Fort Maurepas, and the improved relations with Spain.

The landing site and claim marker.

We are welcomed by the Atakap, who are happy to meet us, since they dislike the spanish and have herd from other tribes that we are both friendly and trustworthy. There is hope for trade and mutual protection.

In addition to the fort we have found a ruined church, a few abandoned materials, and a partly build palisade.

Louisiana, May 5th, 1702. Rumors of war have reached us, a passing frigate took the crew of our ship, but it remains as a guard, and symbol of the power of King Louis to show the Atakap that we are here to stay. Some are happy to have it in case we fail. We have built some docks to secure our food sources and live in simple tents, which are sufficient in this mild climate.

Louisiana, March 8th, 1706. We are at war, but so far from the English that there has no been any trouble yet, and our friends have stated that they will fight with us if needed. We continue to grow, but without any new immigrants it is a slow process. More tents, docks, and the first forest huts. We have been too busy to do much about the ruins, we just live around them. Food is not much of a problem, with rice, seafood, and now roots, berries and venison. Clothing and tools are running low, and with the war we must look for our own solution.

Louisiana, May 1st, 1711. The war continues, a passing spanish ship told us that the Grand Alliance is starting to fail, the invasion of Spain has been turned back from Madrid. Good news indeed, but Florida has fallen to the English, if they come, we will fight for our homes, no question of failure for our colony.

Slow growth, more tents, docks and the beginnings of independent production of essentials.

Our frist real buildings, a school, and a lodging house to receive the chefs of the nearby tribes, and eventually those who need it as we begin to replace tents with houses. We have also built a simple bridge to start using the forest on the other side of the river.

We have discovered an artist in among us, who made this statue in the hope of gaining us blessings from above.

We have yet to decide what to do with the ruins, but we are now using the church. The people are thinking of replacing it with a new one since its dilapidated state doesn't show us at our best.

Using our knowhow, and the few books we brought we have developed beekeeping, tool and clothing making. Our most recent endeavor is to smelt iron, so we can have better tools. One enterprising worker discovered how to make wine from rice, a happy time followed. We are now preparing to make linen from wild flax.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Havre aux Basques
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Denis de la Rive wrote:
create custom starts that help tell a story is an important and often ignored part of playing Banished, and it is much more versatile than asking modders to create these for a few users.

Yep, totally agreed... even for us who are not really good at thinking up a story first this works fine... a false sense of guilt for cheating is not really called for, as one can easily devise a nice start without giving yourself a hefty advantage...

But hey, what a cool map - probably the best looking map I've ever seen :drool:
I hope it will come out this well on other machines too... specially on mine :laughing:

Quote:
make wine from rice

Lucky to have rice so early on :big-grin:
For myself, I would not plant it in the river though - I'd move it to one of the nearby lakes, away from the strong current...

* I generally try to keep rivers clear though, not building too far into the water... even my ports are always built as far inland as possible... :winking:

Well, looks like another big fort coming up... :thinking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:00 pm 

I thought you would like that map, its a new type added to the mod for players like you. :winking:

There is not much of a cheat, if all you add is mostly decorative, in this case only the fort, (storage, but starts empty), and church, (its usable), are advantages. The teepees need to be upgraded to be used, the rest might yield a few resources but not much, and when you consider the what was removed to place the whole, its not a net gain. :hmmm:

Rice and eggs instead of potatoes with the appalachian trees's start, something I really like about CC. :thumbsup:

I agree with you about the river, I plan to make it a passage to the other lake, so I have both inner and outer harbor. There should be lots of dock and quay stuff since the land is rather limited. I will need it for foresters, mining and farming. I just placed them near the settlement, but when I have a market it should be easier to place them on the lakes. You know me, I have no problems moving things around, even twice or more. :devil:

Not sure about a fort yet, some defense certainly, I want to see if I can make a realistic redoubt with the terraforming tool. :shrugging:

Lots more to come. :grandpa:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:26 am 

I think the custom starts would be really help some people start playing, I'm friends with a Banished player who just can't seem to get thru the first couple of winters so having a sort of starter town to get her started would be great.

Oh and Denis :thumbsup: great set of pictures :big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:19 pm 

Quote:
I think the custom starts would be really help some people start playing, I'm friends with a Banished player who just can't seem to get thru the first couple of winters so having a sort of starter town to get her started would be great.

You can always use the debug tool, giving what you want, and setting things up accordingly. Does she use mods? Its really difficult to fail with the right combination of mods. CC has several starting setups, terrain and climate choices, and many ways to improve survivability. You should have her look at some of my CJ, they give a good idea of what to do. You can also make something for her and share the saved game, (make sure your have the same mods). :grandpa:

Thanks for the compliment :redface: , I'm going to post the next set today, it has something special to look at.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Denis de la Rive wrote:
many ways to improve survivability

Yeah, that's my point - I mean, surviving is basically only a small part, mainly a struggle in difficult maps like small mountains and such, or with self-made "goals"... for seasoned players, once you play mainly with mods like CC, just surviving is not much of a challenge any more - then the initial humps are just tedious, you want to get 100+ peeps quickly to pursue your true game-plan... I always maintain natural growth, but initially I may debug in 5 or 10 extra peeps, and maybe a couple more initial buildings, like a forester and a pasture or so... just to get things moving.
:big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:36 pm 

Technical:

Louisiana, 21st March, 1716. Well the war is over, and we are now assured of friendly relations with Spain since it is now ruled by King Louis's grandson. Florida is spanish one more. This means trade with Mexico is now a welcome possibility. Strangely two years ago we had our first snow, lasted only a few days, something exceptional according to our local friends. Talk of giving up has vanished with our food supply secure. Last year we had our first new settlers, a small group, (6) wanting to escape the war in eastern Louisiana, there english problems, our gain.

We have move the settlement to the west of the fort to accommodate our Atakap friends who find we are crowding their village and spreading our culture a bit too fast. We have also given up on the eastern side of the river, for now, so they so they can use this forest for their needs.

We have been ordered to prepare a port to act as a watering post for ships going to and coming from Mexico, all we so far is the foundation of a pier.

Next:

Louisiana, 2nd April, 1721. Things have continued to get better, we have a lot of food, and are all now living in house rather than tents. The old colony site is now empty and we will have to decide what to do with it soon. More immigrants have arrived as the news of our success has spread. Our friends tell of settlements upriver established by our people moving overland from the great river. Hopefully it will bring trade. Few ships have stopped by but it is a beginning. We have been instructed to get the port built soon. Test show that the ground is too wet to build a dirt redoubt, so that has been reported to the King's man in the main colony. Orders should follow, well hopefully so.

The industrial centre:

We have a tavern that makes a fine root beer, (I actually picked up some from a micro-brewer friday that is very good, :roll-laugh: ).

Notice that the terrain squares can make wonderful fillers around buildings.

Fishing has become a major source of food and with the drying and smoking buildings, (see image above, next to the tavern and the next one west of that), at western edge of town, soon a source of trade goods.

Next:

Louisiana, April frist, 1721, Edit: 1726. Most of our work has been directed to the waterfront and completing the port. It is only partly finished, but we have a more sheltered dock for our ship, which is getting a bit too old to face the storms in an open anchorage.

Well I just couldn't leave it at that, could I?

What I like is the smooth transitions, not useful for gameplay, but great for the esthetics of the village, non need to hide ugly edges! :thumbsup:

Finally to improve the visuals, softened quay corners.

Hope you enjoy, now where is my root beer. :whew:

:multi-drink:

:hammock:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:04 pm 

Well, I've seen most of it as it was being done, so... but i like as it is turning out, and love the story (and the detail of the statue !). And that map makes me want to play again. But... No. Work first, she says, virtuously.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:38 am 

Denis de la Rive wrote:
Quote:

You can always use the debug tool, giving what you want, and setting things up accordingly. Does she use mods? Its really difficult to fail with the right combination of mods. CC has several starting setups, terrain and climate choices, and many ways to improve survivability. You should have her look at some of my CJ, they give a good idea of what to do. You can also make something for her and share the saved game, (make sure your have the same mods). :grandpa:

Thanks for the compliment :redface: , I'm going to post the next set today, it has something special to look at.

I think I've fallen in love with the docks :thumbsup:

As for my friend she is a long time SC4 player and great at it and I've pretty done everything you have suggested ...

Me on the other hand ... I watched a series on castle building

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Castle

And one of the things that was covered in it was how the villages around the castles got started ... basically the workman threw up shelters to sleep in either by where the castle was going to be or where the resources were like sand or clay or trees and over time because the castle took so long to build those shelters either became permanent homes or might get moved around a bit but eventually they became permanent and that was your village

... anyway as a result I tend to have a quick look around the map pick a spot and start building with the sole aim of getting every one under cover and sorting out a semi-permanent food supply and its all very much essentials only to begin with and I don't worry too much about where I build them ... once I reached a point where I've got a stable population and food supply then I start building what's eventually going to be the permanent settlement

-catty

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:06 pm 

I usually play at 5 speed, and pause when laying out buildings, or trading.

I think your way of starting is ideal, (thats why I like the hard start), and moving things is essential, only a few buildings should be permanent.

I agree that the docks and quays are some of the best parts of CC, my use is complimentary, but you can build your whole town with them.

Many settlement start that way, its been like that since they built the pyramids.

:big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 pm 

I pretty much always use hard starts its so much easier in the long run starting from scratch ... I usually build a hunting lodge and a gatherers hut, small barn, add in some fishing and a woodchopper (plus woodpile) then for houses add about 6-12 of the shacks available in CC.

And that's it for the first year, if we get thru winter ok then I usually start thinking tools and clothes next ....

-catty

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:38 pm 

Technical:

Louisiana, May 6th 1731. We prosper, more immigrants, and a finished port. The increased contact has brought a steady flow of information about what is going on far and near. The King got married 6 years ago, Spain is at war with England, something about a "rock". I am certain its the English who started it, they are devious. We can't help them directly, but they are proving to be good friends. No question they are welcome to dock here. Last year one of their warships received me and the notables of our colony in grand style to celebrate our King's new son, the news they had specifically stopped by to bring.

We have also learned that the English tricked some of our native friends into war with us, the Natchez. I can't say how they are as its a bit too far for us to trade with them. The governor in New Orleans has written me that they are no danger to us and that we must ask the Atakap not to help them.

Overview:

Some enterprising immigrant told us he could make flour with rice, so we built a windmill, and bakery. Not able to make a croissant yet, maybe when we get wheat seeds.

The village centre is looking better, with a new church and a sec on school. People are happy to live in houses, telling tales of the early years in tents.

We are preparing for when we can buy livestock, and have started mining and quarrying, the surface sources are now a bit too far for our growing needs.

We have bought our first seeds, oranges.

Trade with natives has also started.

The industrial centre, a slow start to what may become a thriving naval supplies trade.

The demand for such is visible in our busy fitting dock.

The passing ships also like to stop by to enjoy our healthy food, water and our very popular ales,cider and wine.

Our densely developed and efficient docks.

Here we have the start of farming, with our apricot and spinach seeds.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, is it true - we can make rice-flour now? Always wanted that... :big-grin:

Love your back story, such a good read...

* Tried the seed, but no love without the maga mod(?)... :begging:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:43 am 

Thanks, not surprised about the seed, it uses a swamp lake map, which is if I remember an addition to that mod not yet in CC. It is a large mod, I'm getting a strange visual effect, the trader's boat loses its textures. Could be a graphics bug.

I find it easy to fill a story with all the wiki pages available, it would have made my studies so much easier. :rolleyes:

I should post the next chapter tomorrow, the images are ready, and the research done. I'm also nearing year 40, for the one after that. The town is growing slowly this time, and not much of a challenge, I'm wondering how far I can go. :shrugging:

What do you think of the port? I made it thinking of you. :winking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Denis de la Rive wrote:
What do you think of the port?

Yeah, free passage now that you moved the rice-fields to the western lake - looks good, and you can easily expand into the eastern bay... :thumbsup:

Report this post

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next