Change font size

Welcome
Welcome to banishedpeople

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Banished Clone?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Have you seen this?
http://forest-village-game.com/

Aside from looking like a clone, it's kinda strange all around - it looks as if it is almost ready, but there seems to be no publicity around it, no discussions, no blogs - just nothing... one could suspect it's just a scam...

:shrugging:

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Banished Clone?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:21 pm 

:hmmm: :shrugging:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:57 pm 

Interesting. It would appear to be a close approximation of Banished with a Medieval time frame. The proposed price looks tempting, but . . . ? The web site leaves many unanswered questions.

:hmmm:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:52 pm 

Such a clone, even the terms are similar, but who knows might get some better support, or could just get Luke to do more to keep his game competitive! I've got so much gaming options, (not to mention peer pressure to get back to simcity), for now that I will wait and see. :shrugging:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Well, one of the devs posted in the Reddit thread where this came up - he was a bit annoyed at all the speculation, but admitted that their information so far was a complete and total FAIL...

Read more here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Banished/comme ... _banished/

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:46 am 

Well I read discussion and am still not convinced, the debate of it being a clone was interesting, I must admit, but then again the terms are so similar. I know that there are only so many ways to illustrate this kind of theme but a lack of difference is still a bit strange. I am reminded of stronghold 1 and 2 and how different the focus was while still covering many of the same things. The fact they have 400 models could mean something, but also only that are counting every little pict as a model, in any case that number can indicate a very large amount or a very small one depending on what is counted.

In all if they still have so much to do, then the numbers posted are not that convincing.

It will have to be very good to earn a place in my gaming cycle, I only play builders, so it will have to replace either Tropico, Banished or Civ5, as three is about the limit of active games I can handle. I've already dropped some good games like Beyond Earth and the X3 series so its quality and difference will have to make it stand out.

Time will tell.

Edit: Looking at the construction timeline I found that so many of the elements are similar including the 'forester tower', which seem to carry over the modern bleed seen in Banished, (the modern concept of watch towers to spot forest fires), with a bit of research I didn't find anything like it, which confirmed my recollections of buildings of this period.

Not sure what that means, but certainly an influence since there is no reason for it in the history books, towers are always linked to military activity.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:56 pm 

It definitely looks like a clone and not game ready for release in less than four months. Don't like the concept of crops failing for lack of rain; cattle dying from coyote attacks, etc.

Am puzzled on why Luke doesn't see the potential of a follow up release adding the features that would allow more mods. He has a guaranteed customer base who'd pay as much as this clone will cost. Weird. :shrugging:

Also, how do you get SC4 to run on your modern pc without crashing. I finally gave up when it crashed every 10 minutes. Love the game even after all these years. Talk about the power of modding.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:37 pm 

purringcat wrote:
Also, how do you get SC4 to run on your modern pc without crashing. I finally gave up when it crashed every 10 minutes. Love the game even after all these years. Talk about the power of modding.

Haven't really played yet, only set it up, ready to go, I am still suffering from PTSS, (post traumatic Simcity syndrome) caused exactly by what you describe, in any case my PC uses windows 8.1 etc, don't ask me how it works, I got a friend to install it. :shrugging:

I must admit that Luke's lack of support is a major roadblock to making his game even better, just ask RK and the CC team! :bang:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:05 pm 

Good luck with SimCity4. Just played the generic Steam vanilla version with no mods and it crashed after 15 minutes. I assumed Steam had modified the game to run on modern pcs but they didn't.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:52 pm 

purringcat wrote:

I've been playing SC4 ever since it came out and have so much downloaded content I can't county it all (thanks Paeng! :thumbsup: ). I'm now on third computer since I bought it: DIY i5 Win7. My grandson has recently become addicted and is playing on an Acer i3 Win7 laptop. Playing from an original SC4 Deluxe CD was getting to be a pain so I purchased a copy at GOG.com. It runs on my machine fine--with the usual caution to save often--the little mod that reminds one to save is great. My grandson was doing fine with the CD until a recent Win7 security update requires SC4 to have administrator rights. I tried a number of tricks to get it to run, but finally just got him the GOG.com version. He's been happily playing again for several days. I think GOG does some tweaking to get its older games running on modern machines. I've got several DOS classics that use DOSBox and one that even uses Win 3.1 inside DOSBox. And, yes, I'm old enough to have used those operating systems when they were brand new. :grandpa:

Has anyone played SC4 on Win10 yet?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:15 pm 

rkelly17 wrote:
purringcat wrote:

I've been playing SC4 ever since it came out and have so much downloaded content I can't county it all (thanks Paeng! :thumbsup: ). I'm now on third computer since I bought it: DIY i5 Win7. My grandson has recently become addicted and is playing on an Acer i3 Win7 laptop. Playing from an original SC4 Deluxe CD was getting to be a pain so I purchased a copy at <a rel="nofollow" href="http://GOG.com" class="vglnk"><span>GOG</span><span>.</span><span>com</span></a>. It runs on my machine fine--with the usual caution to save often--the little mod that reminds one to save is great. My grandson was doing fine with the CD until a recent Win7 security update requires SC4 to have administrator rights. I tried a number of tricks to get it to run, but finally just got him the <a rel="nofollow" href="http://GOG.com" class="vglnk"><span>GOG</span><span>.</span><span>com</span></a> version. He's been happily playing again for several days. I think GOG does some tweaking to get its older games running on modern machines. I've got several DOS classics that use DOSBox and one that even uses Win 3.1 inside DOSBox. And, yes, I'm old enough to have used those operating systems when they were brand new. :grandpa:

Has anyone played SC4 on Win10 yet?

Bought SC4 from GOG and it's run for hours without crashing. Loaded up the plugin folders and still no crash.
Thank you very much for this information. Banished and SC4 should keep me busy all winter. :jumper:

I'm starting to think paeng's site here is actually a senior citizen center in disguise. :grandpa:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

purringcat wrote:
a senior citizen center in disguise

Oh, no disguise needed here... :roll-laugh:

I built this site with the "sexygenarians" :laughing: in mind, who just like to hang out in a more quiet and relaxed setting, away from the large and sometimes very busy forums... and away from i-phones, twitter and facebook :winking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:30 pm 

Hear Hear !

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:32 pm 

Paeng wrote:
I built this site with the "sexygenarians" :laughing: in mind, who just like to hang out in a more quiet and relaxed setting, away from the large and sometimes very busy forums... and away from i-phones, twitter and facebook :winking:

That's me. :grandpa:

I don't even have one of those fancy, schmancy smart phones. I bought a cell phone 10 years ago for $30.00 and still using it. It's one of those that you have to lock the keypad on. :laughing:

I never do go to Facebook, Twitter, or any of those social sites. I'm very old fashioned. Heck, I still run XP. :laughing-loud:

Proprietor of The Hawk & Badger Railroad - for all your Railroad Tycoon 2 & 3 needs

My Internet went down for an hour, so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hawk wrote:
That's me. :grandpa:

Ha, you fit right in :laughing-loud:

Yeah, I don't even have a cell phone... and I switched from win2k straight to win7 (at a time when MS already had announced its end), never saw XP from the inside... a typical "laggard" LOL

Report this post

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next