Change font size

Welcome
Welcome to banishedpeople

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: St-Edward
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:52 pm 

Its been some time since I publish a CJ, the game has evolved so much in the last months that we have so much to play with. :jumper:

In this town I am beta-testing "Mega-mod" which is a compilation of many mods, ( more than 50 by 8 modders), that are either part of the CC collection or can be found on WoB. There is also a youtube series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCUkjH-1nmVm4BwAoAnVspcOglbc3NMM3. :big-grin:

We can thank kralyerg :thumbsup: of the BL team for this very difficult production, as one who has seen coding for mods, I can tell you that this is an extremely complex mod. Also remember that this is a WiP so some things still need work. Hope you enjoy.

Frist some comments on my gameplay. I am far less skilled in the visual aspect than our leader, and as a farmer/industrialist have a very different style. I also believe that each town should have a culture that is visible in its layout, for example here all fields and orchards are 20 by 5, for 1 worker on an east to west orientation. Making a list would take up far too much space. :redface: I am using only 4 mods here, which only add minor things. Since this is testing I am using very few vanilla buildings.

The map:

The seed and conditions:

The start:

Spring year 2, we have established the basics. Note since I started with rice and eggs, building docks that produce these was a must.

Here a wild rose bush:

The town is growing, houses, workshops, a viking storage barn and more:

Here is the hunter/gather hub, its compact and easily built:

My towns are always French, (my ancestor came to New France in 1648, to meet those already there), with lots of storage:

A stone and wood bridge, a necessity since nomads can arrive early and can get stranded on the wrong side of the river:

More growth, expansion of docks and a layout for the town market:

I'll end here since its a long post. :winking:

Report this post

Post subject: Re: St-Edward
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:07 pm 

Hopefully fewer words and more images.

Time passes quickly when your town is not having too many problems, nobody froze, starved or got terminally sick. There were a few shortages, but nothing that got out of control.

Here the beginnings of industry, small workshops:

Here is our first trade post, livestock and seeds, the tight fit ensures traders can't sneak by:

Its starting to look like a town:

Industry requires mining, pit mining works well, now includes marble and jade.

More time passes, numbers:

Industry:

Where we started has changed:

The town centre:

Water powered industry and a monster barn, (50000):

Market square and grid busting for "T".:

The White Swan tavern, roadside herbalist and town cat:

Other buildings:

Free-range sheep and canine shepherd:

Using the terraforming tool makes the placer mine look better, (lower terrain tool here rather than the level tool):

Here some decorative bushes and a nice willow tree:

New types of cellars, (image two; white structures on the side of the viking barn):

This is the north shore where a new village is planned to move hunting/gathering to make expansion possible:

And the early results:

The upscale part of town with it's two story houses is easier to see in winter:

Finally horses for trade:

Well after all this you probably need: :multi-drink:

Before you hit the: :hammock:

:grandpa:

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am 

Nice looking village. Thank you.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:38 pm 

To be honest: I like you layout and I think, it´s looking great. Especially the quarter around the church looks really cozy. 8-)

And the houses, that you are using are wonderful, looks like New England 1760... :big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:56 pm 

carlfatal wrote:
To be honest: I like you layout and I think, it´s looking great. Especially the quarter around the church looks really cozy. 8-)

And the houses, that you are using are wonderful, looks like New England 1760... :big-grin:

Thanks, I'm happy that its easier to have a centralized town that is visually interesting. I still need to add more decorative elements and am currently working on a homestead to expand more easily. :big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:43 pm 

Here we go again, :whack:

Its been a good run, just a few shortages of tools, and a tight food supply, I normally have 75000 to 150000 food by this date! I refused two large groups of nomads, (50, 90), that I just couldn't feed. This is not so much a problem since I can buy lots of food. I have just focused a bit too much on exports.

Numbers:

Overview:

There have been a few changes as the town grows and crops are moved. Some building in the centre have been replaced by housing after I built larger versions; parish house, school.

Expansion have been mostly with the creation of hamlets to the north of the river and south of the main settlement.

Further growth north of the river to work the forest industry:

South-west hamlet for farming and a few industries:

South-east hamlet, it was supposed to be a homestead but there was a need for more housing to improve production:

We are now an administrative center with government buildings such as a court, government house.

Here we have a few new production buildings for tropical foods and advanced building materials that are more and more needed:

The only stable part of town:

We have started to build defenses to protect our work from the bad English, 4 blockhouse, 2 small batteries mounting a total of 14 guns, our stock of muskets is now sufficient to arm every adult, so we should be safe. This is why the King has given us those nice tiles for the town square, directly from the royal factories.

What follows is an illustration of the many options available for a few functions that show how interesting this mod is.

The town hall:

The boardinghouse:

Toolmaking:

Clothing production:

The governor's home, with a nifty "ghost"™ bush, these are a great way to fill those squares on the edge of a building, (and those nice paving tiles):

Again using a ghost grave marker and some small canals a unique fountain:

A homestead with a family graveyard in the back garden, (also some animal pens):

Here we have the college, 3 teachers, for mass education, (again with "ghost"™ bushes):

Finally a well known feature of CC, the sloping fields:

Well thats it for now, next I will try to fix the structural problems and increase both efficiency and get rid of the huge amount of marketable goods.

Hope you enjoy this preview of what will be a very good mod. Hopefully soon to be published.

:thumbsup:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:18 pm 

Denis de la Rive wrote:
Here we go again, :whack:
....Hope you enjoy this preview of what will be a very good mod. Hopefully soon to be published.

:thumbsup:

I'm :dazed: can't wait to see it released, the train driver in the professions certainly caught my eye :thumbsup:

Also have enjoyed watching the progress of your village :smooch:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:32 pm 

There is a train with functions attached to the wagons as well as for different stations, its Red's mod from WoB. What is interesting is that its all in a single mod that gets around conflicts and load order issues. :big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:25 pm 

A train? Wait...

Nice pictures again! Now it looks indeed like a town, and the only house of this mod, that I "dislike" a bit, is the greenhouse, some transparent windows would make it.
Away from that small little critics I like the models, and what you have done with them. :thumbsup:

And well, you said something about a train... and I see now an eight wheeler running on iron tracks through the wilderness... or am I wrong? Too early for steampower? :begging:

I think I should have a lok to WoB. :thinking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:38 am 

carlfatal wrote:
A train? Wait...

Nice pictures again! Now it looks indeed like a town, and the only house of this mod, that I "dislike" a bit, is the greenhouse, some transparent windows would make it.
Away from that small little critics I like the models, and what you have done with them. :thumbsup:

And well, you said something about a train... and I see now an eight wheeler running on iron tracks through the wilderness... or am I wrong? Too early for steampower? :begging:

I think I should have a lok to WoB. :thinking:

All of the items included come in stand alone mods found on CC or WoB, you can get Red's train mod, its very good as is. There is also a greenhouse with transparent glass that makes seedlings that are used to plant decorative trees, (2nd post; market shot near the cow pasture). I'm not certain if I will get to the train, my start date is around 1650, and I might stop in 1763, but if I reach 1820, there will probably be a train. I'm also trying to tell a story, so I want to stick to some kind of time line, year 48, (current date), would stand for 1698, so I would need to reach year 170+

I would encourage you to look at the mods published on WoB, they are with CC the best available, and mostly trouble free since there is a lot of code sharing.

There are so many decorative items and production buildings that its going to be hard to show everything without some compromises to the town story. I want this town to show that it is very easy to play a cheat free game and illustrate that more complex conditions will work well. To be honest the parts of the you-tube play I saw were lacking in both skill at Banished and knowledge of the attributes of the mod.

I should add another section in a few days. :big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:54 am 

Denis de la Rive wrote:
There is a train with functions attached to the wagons as well as for different stations, its Red's mod from WoB. What is interesting is that its all in a single mod that gets around conflicts and load order issues. :big-grin:

Heading over there now :drool: I love trains, I live near here

http://www.silverstreamrailway.org.nz/

and there is something about a steam train and the sound as it goes by that is :jumper:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:12 pm 

catty-cb wrote:
Denis de la Rive wrote:

Heading over there now :drool: I love trains, I live near here

http://www.silverstreamrailway.org.nz/

and there is something about a steam train and the sound as it goes by that is :jumper:

Indeed: :jumper:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:08 pm 

Denis,

Sorry I'm late to the party. I'm glad to see that you, as a citizen of New France, have used narrow farms mostly lined up perpendicular to the river. Not everyone would think of such details. :thumbsup: That was one of the first things I noticed on my first trip to Quebec (by train from Toronto), so I had to look up the history of why the farms were laid out that way. I've tried on a couple of towns to line up my farms that way and it's not easy.

Bob Kelly (43.454 N, 80.545 W, according to Google, where the farms are all square)

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:16 pm 

Thanks, indeed its a feature of land use that I apply as a part of my "culture" in my Banished gameplay, and it is part of our heritage, just like the township system of the English regime, we have a wonderful country. Having things like this can give your towns a certain individual flavor that can make each town different. Too many players depend on modders to provide that which a little imagination can achieve. :rolleyes:

I've not abandon this town, just needed a bit of time to create a master plan, which I now have, its also a bit complicated because I want to show the various aspects of the mod, since the Youtubers, I mentions in the first post are lacking in skill. :boxing:

The mod still needs to fix a few little things, and one big problem with flax, but that not something I can do, when it comes out it will be like a Banished 2.0, well almost. :thumbsup:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:54 pm 

The town has reached a point where we are moving out from the centre, but I've had to slow down a bit to get rid of some bad flax, (a technical issue that has been fixed, its still an alpha test), so I could install the latest version of the mod which adds more buildings. :thumbsup: This post is therefor less about growth and more an illustration of some of the nice features of mega-mod, (many are part of CC).

Here we have an example of how ghost elements can mesh with their normal version to make a nice decorative fence:Image

This is a limited attempt to make the existing redoubt more effective, it will most likely be moved or demolished when the large fort presently under construction is completed:

A review of the military aspect of the town is being prepared as the King has decided to make St-Edward a depot for the border forts up river, and to provide for a better defense from the more navigable waters down river. It is planned to create a "legion" in the Boston style to expand the militia.

Here we have one of the many ghost cranes, that with crates can fill an empty space, (between the buildings):

These two shots show a nice waterfront with fencing, and how it fits with the vanilla TP:

Using terraforming tools, half squares, and ghost we can make a good looking section of tamed river, its still a bit bleak for now, but adding more ghosts should fix that. Also note the two woman practicing their swordsmanship. :roll-laugh:

This is the end of the same water front, showing two TPs and again a ghost crane:

The town centre has not changed except for the CC mansion being completed just above the gazebo. There are some that would like to see the simple row houses replaced by more substantial ones like in the old country, something to consider.

This small hamlet has grown into a village to accept some nomads by doubling the number of log cabins:

A small fenced woodlot, just happened to have a wooded spot due to the way fields were laid out:

This blockhouse has lost a bit of it's usefulness because of buildings constructed, (again will most likely be moved), but you can see some of the mini workstation; two choppers and a saw pit, (I chose them so as to not limit the sight lines of the blockhouse):

Some decorating, a crane and barge, I've decided that the river can't support anything larger, so no ships will be added to this town:

A good shot of a pub kitchen, at present only fill canteens with water from the water towers, and an oil press:

Here a soup kitchen, (makes chicken soup for now), one of two melting houses that make coins, and a metalsmith:

Two shots of the many types of bakeries:

Here is a sequence showing how the simple house, (tents) can be used to expand some distance from existing housing. Easy to build, and demolish these houses with a small market make it easy to relocate and sustain H/G hubs. I like to add a barn, stockpile and a woodchopper with the market to make the transition easier.

The finished village, added a school, church, and hospital, it now houses the H/G workers and some farmers. The only elements that remain from the work camp are the market, barn, stockpile and the woodchopper. I also decided to keep the barn and stockpile form the original H/G hub. What is interesting with this approach is that the H/G building continue to produce, a bit less, but partly compensated by the reduced distance to housing and market.

Finally a small windmill, to keep the area clear of trees, some grass squares, (the mod now includes verdant plains), the color is a bit off, and two wild rose bushes were not removed. Again just one of several versions, and with watermill, so many choices for making flour.

At present we are continuing to move the H/G hubs, expand farming, and food production. The two TP I built have helped to reduce the amount of trade goods, so five should do for now. I must not forget a native trader, quartermaster, and company dock. Since I have many seeds, and the basic animal set, I may replace that specialized TP with a more useful one, which one remains to bee seen. Currently I have two general, and two materials ones, so food might be an option.

A large fort has been laid out and partly constructed, a native village with functioning buildings, (you have to cheat to upgrade from the decorative versions), a shipyard, two different docks. Finally the lakes are being used, I intend to build two dock villages, and more rice and reed farms. Now that the initial work camp has been shown, I can replace the four or five others with hamlets.

The food situation remains stable, but not as much of a reserve as I like, but I can buy as much as needed. There are two trade goods that I have yet to trade, (medicinal and cutlery, and soon nautical goods, so I am very rich :redface: ). The population is nearing 1000, ah the good life.

PS: sorry for the lack emos, my trader is late with my order! :laughing-loud:

Report this post

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next