Change font size

Welcome
Welcome to banishedpeople

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: An Ongoing History
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

This Journal will be different from my usual - we will follow the settling and growth of a freshly founded town... Unlike Denis, I'm not a gifted story-teller, and usually don't give a hoot about historical accuracy - but maybe you get a little insight how I approach my games :big-grin:

Here is the map I'm currently playing - still looking for a cool name :thinking:

Seed 385 686 660, SandLakes, medium, warm arid, Antilles medium

Year 1

Since I had many kids close to school age, I immediately built a school with high priority. In the course of the first year I then built a Fishing wharf (2 workers), a Gatherer, a Forester, a Chopper, a Hunter and a Workshop (kept idle).

Five Houses were constructed, the original barn & stockpile were destroyed and replaced by dedicated stockpiles and a small barn.

Year 2

Monitoring child births, food and materials, I then started to prepare for fuel- and iron production, building a SawPit for Lumber, a Stack Burner, a small Fuel Refiner for Charcoal and a small Iron Smelter. Most of those did not yet start producing, but the structures were ready... Meanwhile the Workshop produced some coats, 4 more houses and another small barn were built. Food and materials developed fine - now waiting for fresh graduates / laborers.

Year 3

By now, all the workplaces have started production and supply a small but steady stream of essential goods, the workshop alternates between coats and tools. Still working on the babies to raise the workforce, but also start looking where to expand - my first goal is the area north of the settlement, toward the river junction.

Also need to decide which way to go - farming? Lots of imports? Industry? We'll see... Sometime in the future I want a large Mission. And Tequila... that much I know already... :roll-laugh:

Report this post

Post subject: Re: An Ongoing History
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:04 pm 

Really nice, interesting to see something different from how I play. Sometimes its not about the story, but about gameplay, I write history, its my profession after all. You still have a story in the choices made in setting up the game. Detailed comment are a very interesting story of how to think and plan. I find there is no "correct" way to make a CJ.

:you-rock:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Some hard times and big changes...

Years 4 to 10

First big disappointment were the seeds the settlers brought - all totally useless, not fit for the climate. Wasted two seasons on that, and many plans were ruined... some untimely deaths (childbirth) further slowed down growth. Health went down to 3 hearts, then a small epidemy struck - very unusual to happen within the first 10 years, so I was caught unprepared... until the clinic was built, things slowed down considerably.

In the end I built a small trader to import at least some fruit and grain... fortunately I was able to get some rice quickly, so that settled things.
The next 10 years went into restructuring and improving the town.

Year 20

I strengthened the fishing village, later there will be supporting industries - drying, salting etc. The industrial village was resettled further south and will expand in that direction. The residential area was completely re-built with better housing and protection - much needs to be done there, but it's a start.

In the process I have almost depleted the stone lying around - so soon I will need a quarry. Am already storing tallow for candles.

Some data -

Aside from some fruit I don't need to import things yet. Will have to find out which orchard thrive in this climate. Started breeding domesticated animals, that should be a good export item, provided I can produce/import enough feed grains (breeders only take wheat, corn and oats)...

Generally the future looks bright... :laughing:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:43 pm 

Thanks for doing this. It's really interesting to see how someone else sets up the starting game.

I know you can't change the climate specs, but I lived down South (Florida) for years and it is Never 25 degrees in the spring. More like 65 low and 80 high. Palm trees wouldn't survive at 25. Logically, you shouldn't need the warm coats and about half the firewood in that setting.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, it used to really bug me that people could freeze in high summer... :laughing-loud:

But I got used to it :winking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:44 pm 

Very stimulating, makes me want to play a more difficult game. I like the way your foresters are changing the environment.

Nice fortifications, oh, sorry housing, :laughing-loud: all you need is a blockhouse where the stream meets the main river. :roll-laugh:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, let's have a look at how this village was restructured...

Year 20 to 47

Phase 1 - The Fishing Village

Housing was improved and supporting industries established - lots of salting and preserving going on now. Some small business set up, like a tailor, rope maker and such...

Phase 2 - The Industrial Village

The metal- and fuel production is in full swing, there are dedicated markets for building materials and food, and the quarries... I moved to make stone my main export, later I might advance to rail-transport and really export big time.

To feed the masses (beside fish), we have rice... There is also quite a bit of seafood (dredgers), but currently I import a lot of fruit and vegetable - easy enough, as I got plenty "cash"...

Phase 3 - The Residential Village

Carving this oasis out of the arid land was quite a feat and took many, many years - but now it it the pride of our settlers. Still needs a lot of work and beautification, but all well on the way....

Here another overview of the main areas -

In the last image you can see some initial foundation laid down for our future mission (north of the hospital) - no, I did not forget about it :nono:
Also waiting for a trader to bring agave seeds, so I can start my much awaited tequila production.

And here is the current map -

Stay tuned... :winking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:49 pm 

Sweet, never thought of using the, (damned forget the name), stockpile covers that way. :jumper:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:50 am 

You are tempting me into palm trees ... for some reason I've always stuck to the harsh english-type landscape, I also like those small grass plots with the wooden fence posts around them and then one or two trees inside, they also look great around the pond and the houses :big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Years 48 to 72

These years were spent filling out the village, raising population, streamlining imports and building up some new structures.

The fishing village has a few more workplaces, it is well settled and gives stable production...

Same with the light industries and builder's markets...

The heavy industry section now has a heavy duty rail station with lots of high capacity storage and sturdy new housing...

The residential quarter has grown quite a bit, but still well-kempt... :winking:

The Mission has finally been built - a small town by itself...

An overview of the town-

Here the current map and some data...

* Let me know if there are parts where you want to see more close-ups or details... :big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:58 am 

Paeng wrote:
Years 48 to 72....Let me know if there are parts where you want to see more close-ups or details... :big-grin:

Thanks, I'm happy watching you develop the settlement, the trains are fitting in really well to Banished its just a real shame they are static ... it is giving me Banished withdrawal symptoms tho, I really need to get Banished up and running again.

-catty :big-grin:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:56 pm 

I'm still ambivalent about the rail in Banished, but you make it work (of course.) Nice to see you come to the other side of the CJ Fence !:-)

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:42 am 
Site Admin

The town has been growing by leaps and bounds to almost 900 peeps, despite my efforts to curb population growth as much as possible :thinking:
Sometimes my get-rich-schemes just work too well... :laughing-loud:

Years 72 to 105

The railway now travels all the way north... at the top you see some fields growing oats and corn, to feed my domestic animal breeders. If growh continues like this, I might add another fishing village in one of the eastern lakes, and maybe some more rice growers...

The new South Port fishing village, complete with drying and salting facilities...

The Central Housing Project has been finalized, some small productions like tailors, herbalists, coopers, furniture makers etc. were added...

The new Northern Housing Project including a large market, more small scale industries and a high capacity school is well on the way, needs some finishing touches.

The Mission has grown considerably, with production centered on the blue agave, but also educating a large percentage of the village youth, running a hospital and supporting small scale industries...

An overview of the Mission and the Northern Housing -

And the current map -

* Soon I can fry eggs on my laptop... not sure how much longer I can maintain growth here... :faint:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:19 am 

Wow! Hope the tequila is good, such a fine use of desert textures! :thumbsup:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:20 am 

Paeng wrote:
.....Soon I can fry eggs on my laptop... not sure how much longer I can maintain growth here... :faint:

Love the update :big-grin:

I bought a laptop cooling pad its got built in fans, it plugs into one of the laptop usb ports it seems to work ok, fan sound is slightly noticeable but I did go for cheap version

Report this post

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next