Change font size

Welcome
Welcome to banishedpeople

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Igor Crater
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:49 pm 

This little village is near as nice as all you folks have built, but I thought I'd share this project anyway. :big-grin:
I'm still working on it but not sure how much farther it will build and still be manageable.
I'm still new at this game so don't expect much. :rolleyes:

First, the details.

Here's the main part of town.

Here's the farm area. I had just stripped out two old orchards and planted new ones with the same trees, chestnut and apple.
The crop fields are wheat, pumpkin, beans and Imperator carrots

And finally, the mining area. There's a tool maker right in front of the two mines; coal and iron.

There's a couple of small forest ares. One just to the north of town, between the town and the farms, and one just east of town, between town and the mines.

I used the Tiny Compilation's Tiny Gardner to plant trees around the map to look better, after the loggers deforested the area.

Here's a list of mods I currently have installed.

Spoiler:
Better Fields v3
Cheap Tunnels
Delete Quarries and Mines
DS Fences and Decorations
DS Roads
DS Small Village V2 Beta 9.51 12/3
Elfecutioner's Buildable Storage Carts
Fast Road 25
Fatten Terrain
Forest Outpost
Gridlines
Hunting Season
Less Fog
Longer Living Orchards
Milk From Cows
Quarry & Mine Pickup Fix
Real Calendar
Sawmill
Small Storage Shed Capacity
Small Town Row Houses
Specialized Stockpiles
Stone Bridge
Time Is Money Alt
Tiny Compilation
Tools value up
UI Mini Map Improvements

Proprietor of The Hawk & Badger Railroad - for all your Railroad Tycoon 2 & 3 needs

My Internet went down for an hour, so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Igor Crater
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:28 pm 

Very nice, much better than my early villages.

I like the natural harmony, its very much in Paeng's style.

I'm a farmer/industrialist so my towns are more open. What is you food situation? looks a bit low. I see you have no hunters, or beekeepers and few gathers. All of these are important food sources, and they also help with other resources like leather, and ales. I see you have the basics under control, its the hardest part to understand for new players. Your placement of housing and markets is also good, but I don't see a lot of storage. Having storage near your production will improve output, so will stockpiles. The mod you are using also has cellars which are a nice alternative. :thinking:

Your orchards are perfectly oriented, east-west, and maximize tree placement. You seem to be using larger fields with 2 workers. I find a smaller field with one worker is best, something like 120 to 150 squares. You should also place a barn south of the field to improve your harvest, the crops are collected south to north, and that way you save on travel. Don't worry if your harvest end early, the farmers revert to labours after they are done.

I still see posts by players that manage to fail even using CC and MM that are very generous. :shrugging:

Sorry if I sound preachy, just want to help. :grandpa:

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Very good, looks pretty solid... really like the way you built the jetties :thumbsup:

Before you expand, you may want to work on your food - for a 100 peeps you should have a store of 10.000, at least... also, I feel you need more storage around your fields.

Looking forward to more! :big-grin:

EDIT

Oops, Denis beat me to it... well, at least he did not prove me wrong :roll-laugh:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:04 pm 

Denis de la Rive wrote:
Very nice, much better than my early villages.

I like the natural harmony, its very much in Paeng's style.

Thanks! :big-grin:
Denis de la Rive wrote:
I'm a farmer/industrialist so my towns are more open. What is you food situation? looks a bit low. I see you have no hunters, or beekeepers and few gathers. All of these are important food sources, and they also help with other resources like leather, and ales. I see you have the basics under control, its the hardest part to understand for new players. Your placement of housing and markets is also good, but I don't see a lot of storage. Having storage near your production will improve output, so will stockpiles. The mod you are using also has cellars which are a nice alternative. :thinking:

The food looks low but that's just temporary. I just got done moving a bunch to the trader because the limit had been reached and all the crops didn't get harvested and the gatherer quite working. I moved quite a bit of stuff the gatherer gathers.
The food is usually around 4 to 5 thousand, sometimes more although I have the limit set at 5,000.
With the cows I haven't found a need for hunters. I get all the beef and leather from the cows. Along with the wool from the sheep, the tailor is making warm clothes and keeping up just fine.
I haven't built beekeepers yet. I'm planning on moving all the livestock across the river and rebuild the town. Then I'll ad other stuff, such as beekeepers.
There's sheds everywhere. There just the small sheds. There's 3 of them near the farms alone. I haven't had a problem with them getting too full so I like them because they take up so much less room, and the farmers haven't had a problem getting their crops in, provided the food limit isn't hit.

There's quite a few stockpiles too, and in all the right places. The way I place the stockpiles allows me to build them smaller too. Generally 4 x 4. There's one coal stockpile on one side of the tool maker and an iron stockpile on the other side. All he has to do is walk out the door for those two resources. The logs are fairly close by too. He's also keeping up just fine on steel tools.

Actually, the low number of gatherers is intentional. That one seems to be keeping up just fine, along with all the other food, like all the different types of fish coming from the fishmonger.

Surprisingly the whole community seems to be functioning a lot better than my other attempts. Nobody's going hungry, doing without clothes, tools or herbs. No complaints from anyone yet.

I also have small markets at 5 different locations. You just can't see a lot of the stuff you said looked like was missing because I use a lot of small stuff so it takes up less room. :winking:
Denis de la Rive wrote:
Sorry if I sound preachy, just want to help. :grandpa:

No problem. I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Denis de la Rive wrote:
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:

I'll post some updates after I get the livestock moved and the town rebuilt.

Proprietor of The Hawk & Badger Railroad - for all your Railroad Tycoon 2 & 3 needs

My Internet went down for an hour, so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:24 pm 

Paeng wrote:
Oops, Denis beat me to it... well, at least he did not prove me wrong :roll-laugh:

Looks like we were posting at the same time. :laughing-loud:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hawk wrote:
The food is usually around 4 to 5 thousand

That's still only half of what your reserve should be... anyway, we'll see how it plays out once you hit 300+ pop and need 30K food... You have been warned :winking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:22 am 

Believe me; I understand fully, but right now isn't the time to increase it. I know I'll have to if I play out this map that long, but I'm trying to play the game to make the supply meet the demand without a ton of surplus. Just my play style. :winking:
I already have my trader about 60% full of excess food, and I only trade about 10% of the time. Most times I just send the trader on his way because I have everything I need right now.
I already killed off half of the cows, sheep and chickens because they were producing too much food, wool and leather.
Since I have two forest areas - right now - I have a place all set up for a second gatherer, if need be.

Besides, I doubt this map will make it to 300 pop. I'm just trying to get a feel for the mods and extra houses, decorations, etc. I really want to tackle a mountain terrain, but I'm not quite ready yet, as was shown me in a couple of attempts at one. :roll-laugh:

I do appreciate the advice though. Don't think I'm ignoring it or your expertise. Image

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:38 pm 

Well, here's an update on Igor Crater. Unfortunately it's probably going to be the final. The game is starting to act like a slide show on my old rig. :(
Time to start on a mountain map. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's the details.

I moved the stockyards across the river, rebuilt the docks and the town.

Here's the stockyards with 4 sheep, 4 chicken and 2 cow pastures.

And finally, here's the farmers working away. There's 4 orchards; pear, apple, chestnut and cherry, and 6 crop fields; Brussels sprouts, cabbage, potato, wheat, beans, Imperator carrots and pumpkin.

I did finally raise the food limit to 15,000, just so the farmers could finish reaping their crops.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hawk wrote:
Unfortunately it's probably going to be the final. The game is starting to act like a slide show on my old rig

Oh, too bad... it was such a good start... :faint:

You need a better rig :laughing-loud:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:40 am 

If I had the money I would consider building a better rig, but that's not an option for me.

I don't know how this game is but in other games it's generally the trees that cause the hit to frame rates. I may try to cut down the trees and see what happens.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Hawk wrote:
but that's not an option for me

I understand... same here, my game rig is down and I don't have spare funds right now... been chugging along on an old laptop, sticking to small maps and small mods - which turned out to be good exercise anyway... :roll-laugh:

Report this post

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]