Change font size

Welcome
Welcome to banishedpeople

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Saint Elme
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:10 pm 

This is a different CJ, no story and without CC, or MM. Lots of mods are used, will post a list next time, as a Mac user I had to research how to take a screenshot on PC. :roll-laugh:

Somewhere on the fringes of France, between 1250 and 1450.

Technical:

I wanted the independence of a hard start to avoid using vanilla housing. Its been a bit challenging without CC, but that was part oft the exercise, more difficulty.

Note: I just started using a new version of photoshop on a new OS so some images may be oversized,I will do better next time. :bang:

Year 2; I decided to use the mini versions to start knowing that they aren't viable in the long term solution, so the early years are about change and movement in space of buildings.

Year 5; I have moved to the more permanent hunter/gather hubs, and the central layout is taking shape.

The master builder needs to drink more, he got the roofing wrong on some buildings, (all been fixed), working in winter. :laughing-loud:

There is the start of a town centre, withe main streets beginning to appear, lots of clear cutting and few decorations. I had to go back and add decorative mods from the archives if I want to get something good looking, spoiled by MM. :tantrum:

Year 11; pond fishing didn't work out but it was only a temporary feature, since it didn't fit the street layout that has begun to dictate more clearly where things go. Industry has started and we have a church, and school. Keeping up with population growth is important so many new houses.

I got farming started with sunflowers, then grapes and squash, and finally flax and potatoes. I also started making root beer, so trading is going well, using firewood, dried fish, and the usual clothing and tools. No real cash cows without CC. :shrugging:

Hunting/gathering hubs, added the flax collector to fuel the export of linen clothing.

Here we have later images as the town is nearly 20 now.

A more detailed look at around year 25 next time. So it seems you can prosper with out CC.

:grandpa:

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Saint Elme
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Denis de la Rive wrote:
No real cash cows without CC

Tehehe... back to basics... :ducking:

But no, I think you need to get used to the different mods yet - waiting for your list...

There are no real cash cows yet, but you can make pretty good with DS bees and mead, even Tany's flax gatherers and weavers are pretty good (build 3 or so)... and of course, fishing is as strong as ever, even if you pnly use the 2-man posts...

Maybe you upgraded your housing (2-storey) too soon? Isn't that expensive - not sure, I haven't used the NMT housing for a while... :redface:

You'll get there... :winking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:28 pm 

Lookin' real good Denis. :thumbsup:
You're off to a great start.

I've never been that good at making pretty cities, even in the Anno and Settlers series, so I try to concentrate on just making things work. :laughing-loud:

Proprietor of The Hawk & Badger Railroad - for all your Railroad Tycoon 2 & 3 needs

My Internet went down for an hour, so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:10 am 

Thanks, actually I wanted to build housing in a concentrated way so I can maximize land use for farming. Even with the rebuilding of accidents, and moved buildings, everything is going well. There was a lot of stone nearby, and also in the range of the hunter/gathers hubs that needed clearing. :shrugging:

I have a somewhat powerful PC so running max mods is possible. I'm not using the beta of DS for stability and because of the known bugs. I've dug up some really early mods for decorating so I should be able to dress it up even more. There is far less flat space than in the plains I usually use so I have to count nearly every square of useable land. The streets are at present only dirt path, but I want to build real 3 wide streets for the town centre using Red's mod, with smaller alleys to create a european style look. In the last picture top left you can see how its starting to look, the DS church fits nicely with the tall housing. :thumbsup:

Cash isn't a problem, with what I have I have bought 5000 worth of seeds twice, and now that I'm making seedlings that sell for 6, I should get animals easily when they are offered, (haven't seen any yet). If needed I can add Kids's specialized TP. :grandpa:

Overall the visual look is better than I had feared, so more to come, during the annual holiday truce! :winking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:15 am 

Well I finally did figure out how to take a screenshot, seriously, I'm a Mac guy except for gaming so it took a while. :roll-laugh:

Here is the mod list:

I have a good second rank gaming Laptop so I can use many mods, I might have to add Kid's specialized TP if I can't get animals soon. It should not be a problem. :redface:

Year 22; I have the industry going and started mining, with farming going well, the only concern is with the lack of live stock, but that should be easy to get since I have export goods like linen clothing, root bear, oils and eventually wine. :thumbsup:

Closeups of interesting areas;

This shot is focused on the way the church and houses fit to give the impression of a single building.

Here its the link between the dock and the TP, something I miss from CC. :shrugging:

Finally a view of the town centre, the arrows indicate streets, (to be made with Red's paved roads mod), the others will be gravel alleys. :winking:

More to come after the holiday truce. :grandpa:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:14 am 

That's a pretty extensive mod list.

Nice looking town too. :thumbsup: I wish I had the patience and artistic ability to build something like that.

Proprietor of The Hawk & Badger Railroad - for all your Railroad Tycoon 2 & 3 needs

My Internet went down for an hour, so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:24 am 

Hawk wrote:
That's a pretty extensive mod list.

Nice looking town too. :thumbsup: I wish I had the patience and artistic ability to build something like that.

Actually had to add one more, DS storage beta, has some nice barns, and cellars, I think DS gave up on them since they didn't make the village mod. I find my towns to be very utilitarian and practical, and only modestly decorative. I lack the skill to really paint the town. :laughing-loud:

I had a concept I wanted to try, a central village with Red's streets, and not use CC. I was not certain it would work, but it has, I had a bit of a slower start and have limited my trading to only two smaller TP , since my usual trading chains are absent.

I also had a bit of trouble with flax, since the mods have 3 versions, and the small weaver only takes 2 types, wild and cultured. You need to be careful which you get, (this was fixed in MM, at my request), I bought the useless, one so, (blue seed icon) wasted 2500 in trade value. :gripe:

I also built an animal TP, that has been replaced by a seed one, after I got cows, sheep, and chickens. That one will probably should down soon.

Tech;

From the north-west hamlet shifting east, then south;

Town centre;

I'm very happy with the way it turned out, the upgrades to NMT housing has given it such character, lots of work, but well worth it.

North-west hamlet, (using DS housing);

South-west hamlet, (using the north housing);

Riverside hamlet, (mixed theme);

I like the idea of themed hamlets, it gives a nice visual and a consistant building pattern. Often building styles will change over time, giving cities their varied look. I thought this would work nice, the central village has NMT, row-houses with a few other buildings.

Closeups;

I used tiny quarry, and Paeng wanted to know what happens when they run out, well you remove them and have a hole, which I filled in and planted decorative plants.

Two street views;

A large house with decorations;

The DS market and inn with a few tables added;

I am now trying to decide what next, the town is stable and expansion is possible.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:41 am 

Very impressive. :thumbsup:

Denis de la Rive wrote:
NMT housing

What is that?

Denis de la Rive wrote:
I used tiny quarry, and Paeng wanted to know what happens when they run out, well you remove them and have a hole, which I filled in and planted decorative plants.

Has the tiny mine run out yet? If so, did it delete good?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:52 am 

NMT is Red's new medieval town, it has 2 and 3 story housing, and many other buildings.

Will see with the mine, its still active. :winking:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:21 pm 

Denis de la Rive wrote:
NMT is Red's new medieval town, it has 2 and 3 story housing, and many other buildings.

Oh yea! DUH!!!! :redface: :laughing-loud:

BTW! What font did you use in the first image in this topic?

Edit 1: Never mind. I found out what font it supposedly is, but it's not free. It costs $35.00 It's called Chesterfield.
I do have a font installed that's close (Agatha), but not quite the same. I also found a Banished png of just the name.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:52 pm 

Well this is the end, decided that I could still push this some more, but the lack of CC chains makes it difficult to go for anything more than population growth. I could transform the work camps into hamlets, but again only more people. The town is stable, and the expansion of the centre has made it more interesting, but a lack of ghost decorations is too much for this old mule.

Technical:

Work camps are the best way to expand, when the work is done, you can convert them, or simply take them down. Some are getting ready to become hamlets with a boarding house.

Traders ready to ship our goods.

The expanded town centre:

Finally urban and pastoral bliss:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:04 am 

Beautiful little town. :thumbsup:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 am 

Thanks. :jumper:

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
urban and pastoral bliss

Nice shot, it really captures the area nicely.

As for a lack of chains, decorations and ghosts - okay, it's not CC... but I think you could get a lot more out of NMT, Kid and DS yet... :winking:
True though for the port areas - you really need the DS jetties to make them nice, but it's all wood then... we should clamor for some stone quays :winking:

* I see that in desperation you even revived bad old fountain mod... :laughing-loud:

Report this post

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]